Saturday, April 16, 2011

Fun science word of the day

     Science terms are renown for being cumbersome, confusing, and gratuitous. Certain scientists use these terms to separate themselves from the public and those who they consider lesser scientists. For example, I could describe my research in one of two ways:

1. I study spiders and how they affect the environment by eating things

2. I study generalist arthropod predators of the family lycosidae and how predator identity, defined by habitat mode and hunting domain, creates emergent multiple predator effects that cascade via trait- and density-mediated direct and indirect effects to regulate the detritivore food web

     See what I did there? But this post is not about the dangers of over-obscuring your work with fancy words. Instead I want to highlight a single science term I recently learned from one of my current students: conglobation. First off, I think it's a really neat looking word and it sounds cool. Call me silly, but those are important characteristics for a word to have. Here's the definition of conglobate, the root of the word:

1) adjective: formed into a ball 2) verb: to collect or form into a ball or rounded mass

Now, I came across this word in a project proposal about Armadillidium vulgare, the common isopod, or pill bug, or rolly-polly.



     These little guys are capable of conglobation, which has been shown to protect them from predators and water loss. After all, they are crustaceans, which evolved in the water and breathe air through special gills. These gills need to be moist to work, so conserving water is therefore important while living on the land. This is why isopods are typically found under logs or in other shaded, wet areas. Furthermore, when they are found in dry areas, they are frequently conglobated while they wait for more favorable conditions.



     One must wonder what it is like during conglobation. The isopod has all of its legs and underparts jammed against each other, with the opposite ends of its digestive tract in intimate proximity. The eyes and antennae are completely wrapped up in the rest of the body, so their sensory world basically disappears. There's nothing comparable in human biology, short of placing yourself in a sensory deprivation tank.

     As someone who studies animal behavior, I am always aware of the dangers associated with anthropomorphizing (ascribing human intentions to the decisions of other animals). That said, I wonder what these isopods think about while curled up. Do they review their day or plan for the future? Is conglobation unpleasant, or is it something they look forward to? What would human culture be like if conglobation was a regular part of our lives?

2 comments:

  1. I like to conglobalate in my office whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed! Better than standing akimbo. Great blogging.

    ReplyDelete